Home > Insurance Guide

What Insurance Do You Need When Moving Home?

Link to image

Moving house is a huge job, and you will already have enough of your mind without even thinking about insurance. They say that moving home is the single most stressful thing a person will go through in their lifetime. No doubt you have reasons for your move. Maybe you are moving for work or moving into a new home with your partner. Whatever the reason, you want to make the move itself as stress-free as it can be.

Many people neglect getting insurance when moving to a new property. With all the things that are going on when you move it is understandable that you may forget the most obvious things. Attempting to move house without investing in insurance is like attempting to fly without a parachute. If things go wrong, you need that extra level of support to help you out. You are most-likely confused about what type of insurance you need to invest in when making a move. There are quite a few options that you need to consider. Moving home comes with an array of hazards, so making sure that you have the correct insurance policy will make things easier.

Why Get Insurance?

Few people understand how important insurance is when they are moving. You might assume that because you are in the hands of professionals, you don't need insurance. That is not the case. You need to protect everything from your valuables to your new home during the process. Taking out an insurance policy when you decide to make a move is the most sensible thing that you can do. Funds will, of course, be tight when you are moving to a new place. You will have a lot of outgoings. Make sure that you use insurance comparison sites when buying into a policy. Doing so will prevent you paying over the odds for standard coverage. Here is a quick look at the insurance options available to you when you are moving house.

Travel Insurance

If you are moving to a new country then, you will need to invest in travel insurance. Usually people only take out travel insurance when the go on holiday. You can get a policy to cover your travels, though and you should consider investing in this extra level of coverage. You will entrust the movers with most of your home items but will likely take the most important things with you on your travels. The things you take with you are likely to be the most-valuable items you own as you will want to have them close to you during the move. You should invest money in some quality travel insurance to cover these items whilst you are moving. You can insure your other household items with the removal insurance. But travel insurance will cover the items you take in your personal luggage.

Removals Insurance

Depending on which removal company you choose when moving home, you may or may not have to pay for removal insurance. Some companies already have insurance on your behalf, and so the insurance cost is in with the full removal price. When you hire the professionals, movers company make sure that you ask them about their policy. If they don't have an insurance policy in place then you will need to invest a small amount of money in insuring your valuables.

Removal insurance covers everything from scratches on your items to loss of items. Make sure that you buy a quality policy that covers all your items and your documents. You will need to send a list of all the things you are taking with you to your new home to the insurance company. One of the worst things that can happen during a move is that you lose a vital document, such as the building contract. Many companies will cover you for loss of documents during the moving process, but you must find this out beforehand. Check the small print of your policy to see what conditions apply. You may have to get your boxes packed by a professional so that the insurance company will cover all your valuable items. Many companies refuse to cover items that the individual packs.

Building Insurance

Building insurance covers structural damage to your home. When you invest money in a new home, you must also buy quality home insurance. The moment you sign that contract to buy a home, any damage to the home's structure is your problem. The home insurance company will send round a surveyor to look over the building before you buy it. They will be able to determine whether the property is worth buying. They will also be able to tell you how much your annual insurance will be. Having the surveyor come see the property before you sign any contracts will protect you in the long-run.

If anything should go wrong with the building itself once you have moved into the house, your building insurance will help you. The cost of fixing structural problems in both modern and older properties is expensive to say the least. Having building insurance means that you will not have to spend a great deal on the structure of your home once you move into the property.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance is the final policy you should look to take out when you buy a new home. You will need to make a list when you move into your home of all the valuable items you want the insurance to cover. You will find it hard to claim for items if you don't put them on this original list. The more expensive your items are on the list, the higher the insurance premium. Make sure that you are honest about the items you have in your home. Saying that a $600 TV was worth $1,000 is not only illegal, but it will also drive up the price of your annual insurance.

Having contents cover will mean that if anything of value breaks or gets lost in your new home, you will be able to replace it. Every time you claim on your contents insurance your insurance will go up, so make sure that when you make a claim it is worth the extra fees.

comments powered by Disqus