Home > Insurance Guide

How to Properly Insure Your RV and Its Contents

If you’ve got a recreational vehicle, or RV, you’ve made an expensive investment. It’s understandable that you would want to protect it to the best of your ability. While you’ll want to protect your vehicle itself, you’ll also want to be sure to protect its contents.

What is RV insurance?

RV insurance protects your recreational vehicle and its contents should you be involved in a collision. RV insurance is often called fifth wheel insurance coverage and will also cover the contents of your RV should they be lost or damaged in the event of theft or a motor vehicle accident.

What kind of coverage is available?

Coverage for recreational vehicles may vary depending on the insurance company you choose. When shopping for insurance, there is minimum coverage to look for:

• Liability Coverage – if you are involved in an accident while operating your RV, liability coverage will provide for any property damage or physical injury incurred by others. The damage to yourself and your vehicle will not be covered.

• Total Loss Replacement – if your recreational vehicle is destroyed within a certain number of years, typically five model years, you will be provided with a brand new, replacement vehicle. Once your recreational vehicle has reached an age of six years, you will be reimbursed for your original purchase price. Any accessories that you add to your vehicle will be covered.

• Accessory Coverage – it’s the rare RV owner who doesn’t add at least a few accessories to their vehicle. With this coverage, satellite dishes, awnings, antennas and other attached accessories will be covered in the event of loss or damage.

• Personal Items Replacement – an additional rider can be added to your RV policy in a similar manner to your home policy. Choose the amount of coverage you need and you can be assured of replacement of personal items both inside and outside your RV if they are lost, stolen or damaged.

• Emergency Expenses – if you are involved in a collision more than 50 miles from home, resulting in your need to find a hotel room, you will be covered for up to $750 if you live in your RV part-time, and $2,000 if you live in your RV full-time.

• Fire, Flood and Theft – should your recreational vehicle be stolen, damaged by fire or flood, your vehicle and its contents will be covered.

• 24/7 Roadside Assistance – in the event of a breakdown, flat tire or empty tank, you want to be confident that there is someone who will come to your rescue. With roadside assistance you’ll be covered in these events and more!

When insuring your RV, consider your options just as carefully as you would if you were insuring your home or personal vehicle. Make sure you have adequate coverage for any number of situations; the peace of mind you gain will make your trips more enjoyable.

Author Andy Langsford is an automotive specialist and writes for carinsurance.org.uk. He recommends this site to anyone looking to find a quote for cheap car insurance.

comments powered by Disqus